Downtown San Diego
Downtown San Diego has become a popular location for those enjoying an urban lifestyle. Most of Downtown real estate consists of condo complexes, the majority of which have been built since 2000. Condos often boast modern construction and architecture.
Downtown San Diego real estate may be broken down into 5 distinct communities, each with their own demographic, price range, and lifestyle.
- The oldest and most classic part of Downtown real estate is in the ‘Marina’ District. This area is close to San Diego’s harbor, and you can readily walk to the water from any street in the Marina District. Sidewalks are wider than in any other part of the city. In this community you might find a local park, and some shopping areas for food, and other necessities of life. Real estate in the Marina District is expensive; often start in the $300’s and going well over a million dollars.
- Little Italy is a charming Downtown community with vibrant streets, restaurants, and local shops. Located on the west side of Downtown San Diego, you can often enjoy views of the water, and ships. Popular with all age groups, Little Italy offers a true village lifestyle where you can walk to local eateries, pubs, and coffee shops. Real estate in Little Italy is eclectic and includes both entry level buildings, mid-range buildings and high rise luxury buildings.
- On the east side of Downtown San Diego you will find Cortez Hill. One of the older areas of Downtown, it was named after the Historic ‘El Cortez’ Hotel. Developed over the past decade, it resembles San Francisco in that it’s build on a hill just south of Balboa Park. This is a great choice for those who DON’T want to live where the action is, but enjoy close proximity to Downtown’s nightlife and cultural events. There are a number of condo developments in Cortez Hill, with prices again hovering in the $400-$700K price range.
- One of the most historic neighborhoods in Downtown San Diego is the Gaslamp. This has long been a recreation center of Downtown filled with night clubs and restaurants. Along with all of Downtown’s redevelopment, the Gaslamp area is no exception. It is now a vibrant community housing some major attractions, including Horton Plaza. Real estate in the Gaslamp is relatively modest with prices largely in the $400K – $700K price range.
- Known as the ‘Ballpark District,’ the East Village has become a popular residential community in the past decade. Home of the San Diego Padres, the East Village houses dozens of condo communities. This area has proved popular with those who enjoy going to ball games. Infrastructure has recently begun with neighborhood coffee shops, restaurants, and markets. Real estate prices in the East Village tend to be more moderate than in other Downtown San Diego neighborhoods. Condo prices begin in the $200’s so are more readily affordable.
Downtown San Diego Listings
See all Real estate in the 92101 zip code.
(all data current as of 3/9/2014)
$599,000 : 350 W Ash St 103, San Diego1 bed, 1 full bath
$549,000 : 850 Beech St 703, San Diego2 beds, 2 full baths
$1,230,000 : 700 W Harbor Dr 2503, San Diego2 beds, 2 full baths
$389,000 : 1431 Pacific Hwy 317, San Diego1 bed, 1 full bath
$425,000 : 1050 Island Ave 114, San Diego1 bed, 2 full baths
$399,900 : 300 W Beech St 1105, San Diego1 bed, 1 full bath
$499,900 : 1025 Island Ave 313, San Diego2 beds, 2 full baths
$1,435,000 : 1325 Pacific Hwy 3003, San Diego2 beds, 2 full baths
$524,900 : 101 MARKET St 413, San Diego2 beds, 2 full, 1 part baths
$1,079,000 : 1325 Pacific Hwy 312, San Diego2 beds, 2 full, 1 part baths
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
Downtown Market Statistics
Real Estate Market Stats
Zillow Home Value Index
Owners vs. Renters
Home Size in Square Feet
|Zillow Home Value Index||$493,700||$169,600|
|Median Single Family Home Value||$727,600||$169,100|
|Median Condo Value||$491,100||$173,900|
|Median 2-Bedroom Home Value||$598,100||$129,300|
|Median 3-Bedroom Home Value||$769,300||$162,500|
|Percent Homes Decreasing||6.2%||21.5%|
|Percent Listing Price Reduction||38.5%||29.3%|
|Median List Price Per Sq Ft||$471||$109|
|Median List Price||$489,900||$192,000|
|Median Sale Price||$418,100||$205,300|
|Homes For Sale||0||0|
|Homes Recently Sold||0||0|
|Turnover (Sold Within Last Yr.)||8.6%||4%|
|Median Value Per Sq Ft||$485||$112|
|Homes For Sale By Owner||0||0|